Most of the items on the basic inventory list are familiar enough that your children (or students) won't get overly excited and start burning through your supplies.
If you create a special place in your home or classroom just for making art, you may find them so charmed by the idea that they are intensely interested in these old, familiar objects.
If you already have an art area or studio, you may find that simply rearranging the materials and presenting them thoughtfully (and beautifully) re-energizes their art-making.
(Have you ever tried to clean out your child's room, with the goal of getting rid of some old toys that are no longer played with, only to find that simply by pulling them out and dusting them off, you've made them intensely interesting again?)
As you build your studio, you can take your children's art making to the next level. Remember, the more variety in materials, the better their representations will be. Their choices are limited by what you have available. Everything you do to enhance their choices increases their learning opportunities.
• oil pastels (brighter, more intense colors than crayons, blendable)
• specialty papers (tracing paper, watercolor paper, etc.)
• hole punch
• Scotch tape (warning: the average four-year-old uses 10,000 miles of Scotch tape per year, if allowed)
• stapler (swim at your own risk)
• acrylic paints (for painting structures) (beware: not washable)
• beads, plastic lacing
• buttons et al.
• cotton balls
• pipe cleaners
• large selection of tapes: duct tape (in different colors), electrical tape (colors), packing tape
• fabric (cut into random squares and rectangles of different sizes)
There's almost no limit to the things you can add to your studio, many of them from other areas of your home. Tomorrow we'll talk about all the things you can add to your studio at no cost, on top of the recyclables you've already gathered.
The wider the range of possibilities we offer children, the more intense will be their motivations and the richer their experiences.
— Loris Malaguzzi